Thursday, March 3, 2016

Our Author Study - Peter Brown

We just love author/illustrator Peter Brown! Earlier in the year, we enjoyed his award-winning illustrations while reading Creepy Carrots at Halloween. More recently, we laughed out loud at little Bobby in My Teacher is a Monster while reading nominees for the Georgia Children's Book Awards. Now we've launched into a full blown study of this children's literature legend-in-the-making.

We kicked off our study a couple of weeks ago by deciding what exactly we want to learn about Peter Brown. I always like to have input from the kids. It looks like we'll be revisiting some of our favorites to take a second, different look...




I've asked students and parents to share any Peter Brown books they may have or any related info/materials. We were very excited when one mom sent this our way last week...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCG1Qb_lnWw/

It's Peter signing copies of his new book! A chapter book! The kids were so excited when I shared this with them because they had no idea he had a new book coming out. I'll admit, this one flew under my radar too as I most often look for the latest picture books. We went to his website to read more about the book and loved the sound of what it was about. The kids asked if we could get the book to read, but I told them it was probably for older kids. Then, I may or may not have turned right around and pre-ordered it. *may or may not* Look what came in the mail today...

Shhh! It's a secret! I plan to surprise them at the end of the author study. We'll read it over the course of a couple weeks. I can't wait!

The first book to officially be a part of our author study was You Will Be My Friend. The kids loved this hilarious story about Lucy's struggle to find the perfect friend. I'm sure we can all relate at times. We connected to this book by creating an informative writing about how to make a friend. We appreciated Peter's advice on the subject as well!













No comments:

Post a Comment